Last night we had the missionaries over for dinner and one of the elders read us a story that I have had on my mind ever since I heard it. Jenna is the one who always keeps this up to date but I thought it was my turn to share. With the holidays coming I thought this would be good to share with all our friends and family. I am sad to say that the atonement didn't really hit home until I heard this story.
Imagine you are driving to work tomorrow and you hear a story on the radio about a small village in Asia that had been struck with a mysterious flu that had taken the lives of 10 people. You don't think too much about then, but when you get off work you are watching the news and the main story is that this flu has now spread to 100 villages. So you watch it and think about how fast this flu is spreading, but it still doesn't really have anything to do with you. The next morning you see the president on T.V. and he says that the borders are going be closed and that he is sorry for those who have family in other countries, but this flu is spreading way too fast. He then says that they are working on a vaccine for this and as soon as it is found they will open the borders. As the week goes on you don't really see anyone laugh or smile, the country seems so sad and then it happens... the flu hits the United States. As you get home that evening there is a broadcast asking everyone to go to your local hospital to have their blood tested, they have found the cure but it will take clean blood to complete the cure. As you load your family in the car and head to the hospital you say a prayer in your head that this will all be over soon. You arrive at the hospital and you and your family are all tested. While you are waiting you look at all the people there and you ask yourself, " how could this happen so fast it just took over the world." Then you see a man in a lab coat running down the hall yelling a name. Your heart falls into your stomach, as you feel a tug on your shirt, "Daddy they are calling my name." As the man in the lab coat comes to you he says, "Sir your son's blood is clean!" The people all around start to cheer and cry and give all kinds of hugs, then he asks you and your family to come with him. You go into an operating room where a doctor says he needs to do a few more tests before they start. After the testing is complete the doctor comes to you and asks if he can speak to you in private. As you go into his office he tells you that he will need you to sign this form. As you read it you notice that the part that tells how many pints of blood will be taken is blank, you ask the doctor why, he then explains that they had not planned on the clean blood to be in a child, and that they would need all of his blood. But he tells you that your sons life will save the world. As you sit there for a while and think about what is being asked, you realize this is what has to be done. As you enter the operating room you begin to cry, and you kiss your son goodbye and walk out of the room. A month later the president holds a ceremony in honor of your son and what he gave. While you are sitting there you notice across the street you see people going to the mall, cars driving by and you see a plane flying in the sky over head. Then you think to yourself why are those people not here to honor my son and what he gave.
I just want to bear my testimony that I know that Jesus died for all of us and I am grateful to have a father in heaven who had a plan to save all of us. I am so blessed to have wife who I love and a daughter on the way that I will be able to spend eternity with because of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ's plan. So I hope we can all remember what gift was given to us as we come into this holiday season. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
1 comment:
what a great story, thanks for posting it.
Post a Comment